History of Teramo
Antiquity, Greeks and Romans in Teramo
(1000 BC – AD 300)
Archaeological excavations in the city of Teramo’s Cona district prove the presence of a village that was inhabited as early as Neolithic times. The Campovalano necropolis, near Campli, has allowed scholars to define the presence of Piceno peoples from 1000 BC to 300 BC. Ruins of a Roman theatre and domus in Teramo city centre are signs of a civilization that flourished until AD 410, when it was destroyed by the Visigoths.
From the Renaissance to the Risorgimento
(AD 1400 – 1700)
The wealth of religious artworks found in the foothill area has led many scholars to speak of an “Abruzzo renaissance”. These works of art, as well as an artisan tradition (still flourishing today), prove the wealth of the area at this time. The province, for many years, was the Bourbon border and the immense fortress of Rocca di Civitella saw many battles from the 1500s to 1860.
The Post-War Times
After the two World Wars, the province of Teramo enjoyed significant economic development thanks to excellent artisanal and fine food and wine enterprise. Today, Teramo and Abruzzo are facing up to the challenge of globalization and sharing their magical identity with Italy and the world.